Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Family




Family comes in so many different shapes, colors and sizes these days. It is sometimes hard for me to know that we are "doing it right." I want my kids to have respect for their elders, appreciate and care for each other and the environment, have fun, and know how to love authentically. Most of all, I truly want each of my children to know and love the Lord and be willing to submit to His will in their lives.


I know this will be a long journey. I believe we are giving our children a firm foundation for these tasks. However, I have days where I am just tired. I don't find that my children bring me joy. I have recently learned to accept this as normal and have chosen not to wallow in the guilt that is so easily assumed when this happens.


I see that the Lord delivers exactly what I need on these days. He might deliver a special friend to visit, or even several. He might prepare my husband's heart to be even more compassionate than normal on that particular day. He might choose to bless me with a particular moment or lesson.


Tonight my lesson was "hair pretties." You might wonder what that means. Well, Geslande and Joravena need a lot of "hair pretties" as a part of their hair grooming. We have many of these "pretties" and some are designated for the baby dolls and we practice putting them in their hair. In the last couple of days Josiah has been a willing participant in the practice of "doing hair pretties." Geslande has been grooming Josiah's hair. It is pretty rediculous looking and Josiah knows this, but he allows it anyway and laughs and giggles with his sister.


Tonight, Josiah, Geslande and Elijah were playing "family." Geslande was placing several of these "hair pretties" in Josiah's hair. "Family" has become a pretty common game in our house and I've never really thought much about it. However, the Lord placed on my heart a moment of notice during their playing this evening. My children were modeling a Mommy, Daddy, and baby. Their interacton was playful and tender. I realized during my moment of observation that they would not be able to model this behavior if they hadn't experienced it themselves.


Despite the days when I don't feel joy in parenting, the days when I yell more than I should, or maybe even get frustrated with the little buggers...despite this, they believe family is about mutual respect, tenderness, love, cooperation and fun. In this moment I was able to accept the grace that is offered to me from the Lord, grace that covers every bit of what I percieve as error in my parenting. The Lord has blessed me today and every day with four amazing children. They are on the right path. My prayer is that they would continue to choose this path as they grow.


Proverbs 3:9-11 "Then you will understand what is right and just and fair- every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to our soul. Discretion will protect you, and understnding will guard you.






>div>

1 comment:

The Haiti Lady said...

LOVE IT! Of course it makes me worry on the day shtat one of my youngest says they want to be the cat! ;-)
At an adoption exercise by Jane Brown, Hunter had to model being the Birth parent and give his baby for adoption. He fought and fought and said it should be ok to adopt the mom as well....broke my heart and made me sad, proud all at once!
Love ya,
LeAnne